[VoiceOps] SMS gateway API.

Brandon Lehmann brandon at bitradius.com
Sat Aug 8 14:51:19 EDT 2009

Alex,

We've had an excellent experience developing SMS applications (inbound &
outbound) using the APIs available from http://www.clickatell.com/. I'm not
sure if they are the cheapest out there (as low as $0.01/msg received);
however, we have found their API to be one of the easiest to use.

We've also developed a few applications using direct connections to a
device. The biggest problems we ran into when using a device were: finding
a phone that would charge over USB from a computer (not all do), reliable
cellular coverage while inside a cabinet and/or closet, wireless plans with
'unlimited' txt messaging plans can get 'expensive', and a device that
isn't plagued by lockups during high-volume messaging.

--

Brandon Lehmann
BitRadius, LLC
Email: brandon at bitradius.com
Web: http://www.bitradius.com
Phone: 567-255-3610x9500
Toll-Free: 888-608-7253x9500
Fax: 567-255-3611

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:06:19 -0400 (EDT), "Alex Balashov"
<abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> Let me add something else here:
>
> Obviously, there are various ways to get this data off of a cell device
> that rely on use of a network rather than SMS, and can be bridged
straight
> into IP.  That would be far more straightforward, cheaper and more
> sensible.
>
> However, that defeats one of the specific problems I'm trying to solve
> here, which is that the operating area has very, very spotty
> 3G/EDGE/EVDO/etc. coverage, but always has basic digital coverage.
>

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but I thought I would tap the
>> enormous collective wealth of knowledge here.
>>
>> I come from the fixed-line world, so I don't know terribly much about
SMS