[VoiceOps] SMS gateway API.

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Aug 9 20:33:05 EDT 2009

Alex -
   Clickatell will do this for you, as has been described in other
replies to this thread.  However, last time I used them you were
required to get a short code, which was an expensive and paperwork-
laden process.  Previously, it was possible to get an E.164 number
that was SMS enabled from them, but only in Europe.  Rumors from last
week have them handing out E.164 numbers in North America with that
capability.  I've yet to investigate (and after a bit of clicking
around I find it appears I'm still right, and they have no North
American capability.  I'm pleased to be proven wrong if anyone has
contradictory information.)  You can send messages on their "testing"
shortcode in North America, but they didn't guarantee delivery and
your messages came from the same shortcode as a zillion other trash
messages, and replies by endpoints to your message were impossible.
Ugly, ugly solution without coughing up money for a shortcode, and the
politics behind shortcodes makes it almost certainly a non-starter for
you.

   Level3 in conjunction with Syniverse were allowing SIP delivery of
E.164 numbers that included bi-directional SMS capability, but the use
of those numbers as "gateway" numbers with high volumes of traffic is/
was an unknown.  There were reasonably high minimums for this contract
modification unless you had a previous L3 DID contract.

   Delivery via Bluetooth or USB serial is an option for very low
volumes, but is a hack for anything but the smallest implementations.
"Does Not Scale".  Plus, you're then vulnerable to the various outages/
billing issues/contractual spite that carriers apply to their retail
customers.  If you're really hot for this method, then I'd suggest
some devices that talk IP on on side instead of device driver nonsense
- take a look at the PorTech MV-370 single-port SMS<->SIP gateway
devices, though you'd have to write your own little protocol shim for
them since I don't think it's "native" SIP or SMPP if I recall from
the last time I looked at the documentation.  Search eBay for the
PorTech devices, or just type in "SIM GSM" into the search string -
lots show up.

   I'm interested in hearing if anyone has been able to get a decent
service provider up and running who supports selling a DID that
originates SIP VoIP _and_ will handle bi-directional SMS via some
other protocol to the same E.164 address, with minimum quantity 1 for
service provisioning preferably with credit card or PayPal.  I'm
looking for North America, but other locations would be interesting,
too.  Having the ability to port a number (mobile of fixed-line) to
the service would cause me to swoon with joy.

This has been discussed before:
  http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-biz/2009-February/029579.html
  http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2008-October/220726.html

JT