[VoiceOps] Geographic redundancy

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Aug 11 10:12:17 EDT 2009

Failing over SS7 and TDM switches as you know is pretty nontrivial.
Maybe it's easy if you just gate TDM to IP, but if you have TDM switches
you're probably doing other things with them that require a certain
proximity to your customer, and the more longhaul you depend on, the
higher the risk of backhoe fade between you and your customer.

I've got some ideas for how to crack the nut of keeping an SS7 voice
network up, but they're expensive and require a 1:1 overlay on capacity
and the actual cutover is likely to distract our technicians from
restoring the actual production site, which is also our offices.
Likewise with the data networks, I'd have a lot of idle gear I can't
monetize, and capacity I have to overbuild and not use.

I've been gravitating toward the ILEC model of just spreading the
equipment out so it's closer to the end users, so any failure only
affects a small segment, that depending on what caused the failure, may
not care that you're down (tornados, severe wind damage, flooding,
nuclear strike).

Unless there's something obvious I'm missing here, of course.

-Paul