[VoiceOps] Geographic redundancy

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Aug 11 10:30:35 EDT 2009

This type of redundancy isn't the biggest risk point here, however. We
lost a large chunk of connectivity to another region of the state
because of what was either a single threaded fiber, or a collapsed ring
on a handoff between AT&T and Verizon not too long ago. It was the only
route available into the area, and it was the sort of traffic you don't
want to carry on the public internet (IE: Running IP here wouldn't have
done any good, because it would have had to be private anyway).

Verizon experiences serious fiber cuts every day in some portion of
their network, it seems.

The biggest risk factor, from my customer's point of view, is still the
connections between them and us. (And an overwhelming majority of those
are IP)

-Paul