[VoiceOps] - TDM -> IP

David Birnbaum davidb at pins.net
Tue Aug 11 21:35:42 EDT 2009

If the PSTN could overnight switch from TDM to IP, everyone would be
much happier for it; there's a lot of pain and expense going back and
forth between SS7, IP, wireless, and even older stuff like FG-D.
Unfortunately, we have a long, painful transition to undergo:

    * On the technology side, carriers have to update, upgrade, replace,
      and some time just trash existing (expensive) hardware
      infrastructure of all different flavors.  There's a lot of money
      involved there.
    * On the business side, carriers have to figure out how to convert
      their inter-carrier billing and revenue agreements that are all
      based on channel and CPM models into...whatever exactly it is
      that's going to replace it.  And like it or not, all of the
      upstarts are leveraging (or just taking advantage of) a model that
      allows them to exist at the expense of the incumbents so those who
      stand to lose their revenue base are understandably dragging their
      feet.
    * On the regulatory side, the regulations have to be adapted to
      account for new forms of telephony and distribution, and these
      things change very slowly because politics is involved.  To add
      injury to the process, states and localities derive revenue from
      the taxable transactions.  So if those taxes go away...something
      has to replace it.  We all know how easy it is to raise taxes in
      this current environment so you can figure on some real pain there.
    * New carrier technology (cable and FIOS) which is not currently
      open to competition is creating an interestingly skewed playing
      field as some areas get a ton of new investment (most suburban and
      some urban areas) while others (largely poor and rural) get skipped.

Nobody really knows how these things are going to change, but there's a
lot of really nervous people all across the incumbent and mature CLEC
space as they try to adapt their technology, processes, workforces, and
other stuff to meet the perceived demand.

Cheers,

David.