[VoiceOps] BellSouth vs. AT&T stance on multi-tandem access.

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Aug 13 09:26:06 EDT 2009

Jason Vanick wrote:

>> For outbound, of course, various intra-LATA recip. comp. and switched
>> access fees apply.
>
> Yup... tandem termination  was always more pricey than DEOT termination... sometimes by
> as much as 3x.

Ah.  That's intense.  I don't think the spreads were ever quite so large
in BellSouth-land.  BellSouth was always thought to be the most
CLEC-friendly ILEC.  But it's also the south;  hospitality aside,
there's just a lot less traffic down here.

> Yup.  The FCC probably should have stayed out of things much more than they did.
> But then they wouldn't have had all those jobs for all the regulation people.
> Well, that and the RBOCS really still thought (think?) they were the only game in town.
> Interesting culture difference.

In the UK, I think Oftel was more involved than the FCC was here.  I
think the real difference is that the system was never so Byzantine to
begin with, and so it didn't conserve all the obfuscation across the
divide as in the US.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems