[VoiceOps] Geographic redundancy

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:12:50 EDT 2009

Sorry for double post - google shortcut and botched up keystrokes made me
send premature

All - wanted to say thanks for enlightening me.  Been a very interesting
thread.  Seems like there's a lot of legacy technology, regulations, and
thinking that we have to take into account in planning.  The original thread
was on geographical redundancy - guess it should have been more specific:
* redundancy for an ITSP only provider that's facilities based reseller
(that being someone who is not a true CLEC but uses CLEC(s) for IP <-> TDM
conversion to get on the PSTN)
  - SIP peering redundancy via IP
  - local call processing and media gateway redundancy as well as
geographical
  - IP reachability to CPE and CPE redundancy

* redundancy for CLEC/Carrier
  - some or all of the above and
  - sounds a bit more complicated when you add on SS7 requirements
  - what else?

Alex - to answer you directly - ITSP with either I guess would be relevant.
 Although if I use a wholesale provider I'd expect that they are both
locally and geographically redundant (or I wouldn't use them unless business
requirements or financial situation dictated outage time is OK or worth the
risk).