[VoiceOps] Geographic redundancy

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Thu Aug 13 15:57:14 EDT 2009

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009, David Birnbaum wrote:

> Zero is nice, but may not be feasible.
>
> I would say "it works" means that your failure scenario may run from "zero",
> in which case the customer doesn't notice that you've lost half your
> trunking, to what I would consider "minor", which means that most of your
> calls stay up and perhaps dialtone/call setups fail for 10-20 seconds.

We can shutdown our NYC cluster and calls will stay up. The question was
outside the network that can cause issues. However this is greatly reduced
with geographic redundancy on your appserver/softswitch. We wrote our own
SIP video conferencing system from scratch, we have the inhouse
programming resources to add in memory distributed database to one of the
open source platforms, however we found that using something like
BroadSoft saved us a lot of time and money.

-Nathan