[VoiceOps] Inbound Redundancy

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Aug 24 10:02:12 EDT 2009

Another thing to consider is that in the BGP world, the IP block(s)
announced by the customer are actually "owned" by the customer, in an
administrative and a technical sense.  This is true whether they are
subnets of a provider's aggregate, or provider-independent blocks
obtained directly by the customer through a RIR like ARIN.

The ISPs really do just provide the transit.  You can announce whatever
blocks you want to them (that they let you/don't filter), and they can
announce those blocks on behalf of their subtended networks (customers).

PSTN numbers don't work that way, conceptually.   You may, as a
customer, "own" the numbers in some legally significant way, but as
implemented in the underlying technology, they are homed (or ported) to
a carrier switch. That's just where they go, and that's what makes them
functional.

When it comes to multi-provider redundancy, I think the eventual
solution - if there's any interest and business case for one - will be
less to hair-trigger NPAC subscriptions to another OCN/LRN, protection
switch-style, and more the use of some sort of "logical" number or
identifier that is a wrapper for the underlying numbers that are still
statically assigned to a particular carrier.  Sort of like a hunt group
or find-me-follow-me functionality, but on a lower level of abstraction.  :)

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems