[VoiceOps] VOIP related 911 deaths

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Aug 25 12:42:16 EDT 2009

And on a similar note replete with the hallmarks of inductive logic:
For every sensational death or other ultimate catastrophe
probabilistically attributable to VoIP E911 issues, there are probably
thousands of cases of minor injuries, increased wait times, and other
situations where the argument could be made that the response should
have been more efficient and/or the problem resolved faster and more
accurately.

I have seen that come up as a dominant talking point in the context of
calls getting routed to the wrong (in an administrative sense, not
necessarily geographic) PSAP, or ALI information in fixed-line E911
databases not being up to date or applicable at the moment the call
was placed.

As VoIP gets more even more mobile and nomadic than it already is, I
suspect there won't be any serious solutions until some sort of
sufficiently universal GPS or transponder triangulation scheme similar
to what cell carriers do for 911 is arrived at.

And, of course, that is replete with privacy and due process
implications.

Not a simple problem by any stretch of the imagination, even beyond
the technology and standardization aspects.

--
Sent from mobile device