[VoiceOps] VOIP related 911 deaths

Jonathan Thurman jonathan at thurmantech.com
Tue Aug 25 14:27:02 EDT 2009

Being an emergency responder for my local small town, I can be pretty
opinionated when it comes to 911 service.  I would say that a much
larger problem than wrong E-911 data from a VoIP site would be cell
phone calls.  For cell phones that do not have GPS chips, they attempt
to triangulate the location based on what cell tower you are attached
to.  I have personally seen that method be more than 15 MILES off, as
well as be routed to the wrong 911 facility, in the wrong county.

PSTN has problems with 911 access too, as in this story where Verizon
took out a call center for 5 hours...

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=833545&category=REGION

And don't get me started about the computer aided dispatching software
issues...  I always thought that copy and paste was supposed to crash
the entire system...

-Jonathan