[VoiceOps] SMS apps, providers, and peers

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Dec 7 21:07:13 EST 2009

Perhaps my suggestion will be dismissed as flippant, but why would
anyone bother, at this point, to make serious investments in
SMS-related services and technology, including contracts, high
commitments, administrative overhead, API development, etc?

It is a technologically primitive but pervasive (for the moment)
profit center for the mobile carriers because it incurs virtually no
marginal cost for them;  SMS messages are carried as padding in
control frames exchanged among network elements (as well as towers to
handsets) that are sent anyway.

It is, however, blatantly obvious that unlimited data plans provide an
unmetered alternative that is not nearly as lucrative for the
carriers.  What's saving SMS right now is its ubiquity on
non-"smartphone" handsets and deliberate stalling action arising from
the collusion of handset vendors with operators to make SMS
alternatives that run over 3G/EDGE/GPRS/etc., when available, less
convenient and straightforward to use on the phones' interfaces from a
user experience perspective.  Of course, the
aggregators/clearinghouses have a stake in it too.

SMS is widely used and nearly universal, but like anything else
founded on the sort of inherent tension I just described, its days are
numbered.  I would encourage forward-thinking voice companies to help
assist in its demise rather than spin their wheels and perpetuate it.
  You'll be that much the poorer.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems