[VoiceOps] Conferencing NPAs

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Dec 8 09:47:31 EST 2009

That's because the carriers are generally otherwise legitimate rural
carriers and don't charge anything more outrageous than other rural
carriers, it just upsets nonrural carriers because someone jammed an
asterisk box or 7 in there and run massive conference bridges and now
they have to actually call a rural area and that costs more in
intercarrier compensation than the rate they're charging. Note that
calling that phone company's downstream customers always cost that, the
non-rural carriers were assuming that nobody would ever call there, and
those that did would be a minority of their traffic.

This is the sort of reason you don't see anything distinct for those
companies. They're already accounted for in the super high rate tier of
whatever LD provider you're using. When you see those areas that are
like $0.04/min that's where your very rural carriers are.

-Paul