[VoiceOps] SMS apps, providers, and peers

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Dec 8 17:16:13 EST 2009

Regardless of the long-term logic in providing SMS-enabled VoIP DID's
(I happen to think it's a good idea) I will say that I still haven't
seen anyone offering it at a "low-volume" level, other than Google.
All the vendors listed below are short-code aggregators, and I haven't
seen any of them offering E.164 numbers that are both VoIP (SIP) and
SMS enabled.

The Syniverse offering is really interesting, but still the market is
totally silent on someone offering resale of the combined service.
Anyone?  Anyone?

Even the ultra-simple ability to get out of the short-code costs for
bi-directional messaging would be HUGE for certain applications.  Many
apps don't need to have premium pricing, and many small companies
can't afford the per-month short-code costs.  Someone could step up
and do a moderate advertising campaign to the VoIP community and do
quite well, I suspect, reselling this service.

JT