[VoiceOps] Conferencing NPAs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Dec 8 19:03:04 EST 2009

Scott Berkman wrote:

> Yes, number of Tandem trunks and/or PRIs.
>
> 	Remember that Level 3's voice service was born out of their managed
> modem service.  As the modem business (especially that of their really large
> wholesale customers) started declining, that capacity was converted to (or
> shared with) IP media gateways.  Therefore areas that didn't have a large
> capacity in the modem world didn't have a large capacity for calls.

Yes, that I know, but my understanding was that this applies to
origination.  That is why they have direct end-office trunks to nearly
everywhere.

How does the termination architecture work?  I would assume it's like
any other large CLEC and/or IXC:  by default, they connect to a POI
and have tandem groups from there, and also ride their own network to
select end-offices in which colocate equipment for the purpose of
generating UNEs, when/if there is switching equipment there.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems