[VoiceOps] SMS apps, providers, and peers

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Dec 10 13:52:46 EST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Peter Beckman wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Kenny Sallee wrote:
>
>> It all boils down to what users want today and tomorrow.  IMO -
>> users want
>> SMS today and are going to keep wanting it for a long long time
>> because it's
>> quick, works on most all phones (not just smartphones), and sovles a
>> problem.  I'm just not clear on how it comes into play for a VoIP/
>> ITSP.  SMS
>> on an IP Phone - I'd ask - Why?  IP Phones sit nex to computers
>> (for the
>> most part).  Computers use IM (its quicker, easier, and free).  Maybe
>> Softphone on a PC?  But again I ask why for same argument as w/ IP
>> Phone?
>> Am I missing something (likley since I'm not entirely a voice guy
>> at this
>> juncture in my career).
>
> Virtual numbers -- You can have 4 phone numbers all ring on your
> existing
> cell for cheap.  Add SMS functionality from your Virtual Numbers to
> your
> phone, and if your provider is smart, a way for you to reply, then
> Double-Awesome.

For what it's worth, I found few people who were willing to pay for
this service, though that could have been just due to Epic Fail on the
part of our marketing department. (1)

(1) I was the CTO and "inventor" at a company called TalkPlus, which
did exactly what you're describing. Client software on the handset did
data-channel call setup (bi-directional, Caller-ID correct,) text
messaging on multiple DIDs, device independence, visual voicemail
(before Apple), and a host of other cool features.  Couldn't convince
anyone to buy it.  Company folded.  http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1820310.pdf

JT