[VoiceOps] SMS apps, providers, and peers

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Dec 10 15:26:40 EST 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, John Todd wrote:

> For what it's worth, I found few people who were willing to pay for this
> service, though that could have been just due to Epic Fail on the part of our
> marketing department. (1)

  I've got a bunch of people asking for it, though they probably want an
  unlimited plan for $5, and though the carriers can do that since there is
  almost zero overhead for them, we have to pay the carriers, and they are
  not cheap.  $0.03-0.05 per SMS, both inbound AND outbound.

> (1) I was the CTO and "inventor" at a company called TalkPlus, which did
> exactly what you're describing. Client software on the handset did
> data-channel call setup (bi-directional, Caller-ID correct,) text messaging
> on multiple DIDs, device independence, visual voicemail (before Apple), and a
> host of other cool features.  Couldn't convince anyone to buy it.  Company
> folded.

  I watched an interview with you somewhere on the Internet, and tried to
  log into my account.  Obviously it didn't work, sorry to hear it folded.
  You were CTO and Inventor, Jeff Black was Chairman and founder, right?

  http://vator.tv/news/show/2007-09-18-1-1-interview-with-talkplus-chairman-and-founder-jeff-black

Beckman