[VoiceOps] Old code vs bold code

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Dec 17 13:30:45 EST 2009

On 12/17/2009 12:24 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

> On 12/17/09 9:29 AM, David Hiers wrote:
>> I've been snooping around our production systems, and the base code
>> version for everything that we run in the call path is between 2 and 3
>> years old. It is patched to a fare-thee-well, and the stuff runs
>> quite well.
>
> That's interesting to hear, because people look at me like I have three
> heads when I say our main production switching is still on Asterisk 1.2.
> I can't see upgrading production systems with any major revs (we have
> applied patches because of security/stability fixes). I haven't found a
> compelling business case for buying new servers just to load up the new
> version until recently.

I know people who still run 1.2.x adamantly on the same basic premise.
  I do look at them like they're crazy now, but even as recently as a
year and a half ago, I would not have necessarily.  There seems to be
an informal consensus that 1.4.18 was the first "serious" stable 1.4.x
release.

I've run into enough problems with 1.6.x crashing that I have no faith
in it as of yet.  Why, I just had an installation in production
mysteriously segfault this morning...

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal