[VoiceOps] DASH issues

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Nov 5 01:24:16 EST 2009

Is anyone else running into issues with DASH's SBC changes from this
past morning's maintenance window?  We're experiencing two new issues.

The first is a DTMF issue.  We're seeing DASH send us RFC2833 DTMF over
the SIP trunk but the MetaSwitch is not liking what the new DASH SBCs
are sending.  In turn the MetaSwitch is not sending DTMF on to the
downstream customer.  It sounds like RFC2833 negotiation between the
MetaSwitch and their new SBC leaves only ulaw as an option which doesn't
appear to agree with MetaSwitch.  Thus no DTMF on towards the customer.
  We were moved back to the old SBC and the DTMF problem has been
resolved for now.  We've been told that this was an issue earlier with
DASH and MetaSwitch and that it was resolved at a particular MetaSwitch
customer's site.  We're working back channels to try and figure out what
that fix was.

The second issue is with what initially appears as a no-way audio on
calls to certain numbers at different customer sites.  When you capture
the traffic you realize that there is 2-way audio but it only contains
comfort noise.  DIDs don't seem to be affected.  The only numbers chosen
for this particular problem are the main numbers at the sites.  The
sites in question all use the same remote media gateway model on the
MetaSwitch, have Edgemarc CPEs and Aastra phones.  The lines are also
configured for SIP forking with several phones on the same line.
However it doesn't affect all of our customers configured in what appear
to be the exact same way.  Some work perfectly fine.  What we're hearing
from DASH is that their upstream is putting the call on-hold for some
reason as soon as the receiving end picks up.  Very strange.  We're
troubleshooting that one in the morning.

Has anyone else run into issues with the migration to the new SBCs at
DASH?  Since we only had outgoing calls going over the new DASH SBCs and
incoming on the old SBCs these problems weren't ever discovered in
testing.  Without that there really wasn't any testing done on our end.

Thanks
  Justin