[VoiceOps] DST handling

Dan Young dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 5 16:48:45 EST 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:
>  In discussing time, one of my providers avoids syncing their servers to
>  the correct time on an ongoing basis (i.e. with ntpd), with the argument
>  that if they sync during calls, billing would be wrong.  Some of there
>  servers therefore skew a LOT, and sometimes their call servers can be off
>  the real time by _HOURS_ (I suspect this is due to running Asterisk on VMs
>  which are notoriously bad at keeping time).  I've griped about it, but
>  they say they only sync the time when there are no calls at midnight,
>  which never happens.

I'm sure this isn't news to you, but... By default, ntpd will not snap
to a new time, but rather slew slowly towards the correct time.

How slowly? man 8 ntpd:
"about 2,000 s for each second the clock is outside the acceptable range."

--
Dan Young <dyoung at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services