[VoiceOps] Load balancing

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Nov 8 00:19:01 EST 2009

John Todd wrote:

>   Perhaps if all you're talking about is a load balancing system for RTP
> which doesn't terminate or transcode, then possibly RTP failover is
> "easier".

Logic would suggest that SIP-only failover is highly desirable, as it
is orders of magnitude easier to implement.

As I mentioned, this is harder to do with B2BUAs, which need
session/dialog/transaction endpoint state.  Proxies, on the other
hand, do not keep state machines for the former two, and thus are a
relatively thin interoperability layer from a state perspective.

> And I can see how that could be done - it's fairly complex,
> but not implausible.  So I suppose I'm wrong in saying it's that
> difficult in reference to the original question, which was (I believe)
> for a really simple load balancing solution for RTP.

The original question was about a HA SIP load-balancing.  No mention
of RTP was made.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems