[VoiceOps] Cisco 7940 PTT

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Nov 16 03:11:58 EST 2009

The 79xx phones don't support it.

But... theoretically, you could do something LIKE a push-to-talk.
They support auto-answer, and they also support PLAR (private line
auto ringdown, aka hotline, where the moment you pick up the phone it
dials a pre-defined extension.)

It would be a 1-to-1 push-to-talk, and it wouldn't exactly be push-to-
talk, but in theory... (note: theory often differs from reality in
practice.)

There's also the telnet administration interface on some (all?)
versions of the SIP software load, which if enabled (and you have the
password) makes it possible to send out-of-band commands the phone to
press any button combination, which is a really ugly hackable interface.

The real answer would be to get phones from a company with a
development effort that is concerned about SIP.  The 79xx series
traditionally has not cared about SIP, and has focused on CCM in all
of it's proprietary nonsense.  Linksys/Sipura did a far better job
doing the "right thing" with SIP than traditional Cisco ever did on
the desktop, and that rift still shows today despite being (now) the
same company.

JT