[VoiceOps] IPV6

Daryl G. Jurbala daryl at introspect.net
Mon Oct 26 15:50:29 EDT 2009

On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:20 PM, joshua sahala wrote:

> as i pointed out, cisco has crap ipv6 support...juniper and foundry
> both have solid hardware support (and have had).

My point: many shops are Cisco.  This required buying new hardware.

> this is mostly FUD and an attitude in futility:  ipv4 will be gone
> within a few years.  ipv6 is the only path forward.  so, you can
> continue to complain that v6 isn't v4, or, you can start pushing your
> vendors for better support.
>
> there are isps with native v6 support here in the us:
> http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=ipv6transit
>
> level3, tata, hurricane electric, global crossing, cogent, nlayer,
> etc, etc

etc, etc indeed.  Did you notice how SHORT that list is compared to
the number of transit providers out there?  This is not even close to
critical mass.

I'm also not sure you know what FUD means.

>> - ARIN support
>
> getting space from arin is trivial.  arin's support for v6 is
> unequivocal.

When money is no object, ALL of what I brought up is trivial.

> see the above link:  if your providers don't offer v6, get new ones.
>
> if your vendors don't support v6, ask them why and look for others

I think you missed my point.

You might as well just sum up your entire message with "buy new
equipment and get new providers."

Daryl