[VoiceOps] PRI Termination device

Jonathan Thurman jonathan at thurmantech.com
Fri Oct 30 17:21:26 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/09 10:19 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
>>
>> But considering you can get something that *is* carrier-grade off the
>> secondary market for about the same price...
>
> I don't disagree, and there's much to be said about an appliance versus
> build your own.  I like appliances.  We use the Asterisk solution because
> Asterisk is already the basis of our network, and we have a large amount of
> Digium hardware.  If I didn't have Asterisk/Digium already, I would probably
> lean towards an appliance.

The backend in this case is Asterisk, so a Digium card is not out of
the question.  Don't be afraid to suggest OSS, it is more pervasive
than we all think.

Currently we are using multiple Cisco 2800 series devices which work.
My hesitance toward Cisco is more about how we are treated than the
hardware.  Although I don't like some behaviour of the SIP stack on
the 2800s.

Having an appliance does offer some ease of configuration, although
somewhat limits flexibility.  On the other hand it allows me to
isolate roles, and not have all my eggs in one basket.

In the end, we are trying to fix an issue with another vendors product
and no budget...

Thanks for all the feedback so far!