[VoiceOps] network jitter tools

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Tue Sep 1 12:41:46 EDT 2009

Alex Balashov wrote:
> Brooks Bridges wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion for another wireshark type application
>> for windows that won’t explode when trying to load RTP captures over
>> ~500MB?
>
> I've loaded multi-gigabyte captures into the Linux version.  It
> doesn't explode, it just eats RAM.  A lot of RAM.
>
> Oh, and, at that point it's so dog slow to filter, analyse or
> aggregate anything that I lose patience and move onto watching paint dry.

I use OmniPeek from Wildpackets on my desktop machine when I need to
open huge files. 4GB ram quad core phenom, Vista. Works fine for me so
far. Depending on the size of the dumps, opening a 2GB file usually
takes under a minute to sort it all out. For the voice side, as much as
I like Wireshark, it couldn't touch Omni with a 20ft pole.

--

J. Oquendo

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to
ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things
differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E