[VoiceOps] [LIKELY JUNK] Acme: EMS or CLI?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Sep 14 01:12:37 EDT 2009

anorexicpoodle wrote:

> Have you looked at all into the ACP-XML api? I have an old doc from 4.1
> on it but haven't seen much since. Seems like it would be a great way to
> integrate larger scale Acme provisioning and management with a home
> grown system.

Unless the API is so complicated[1] that it's easier to write an
automated CLI-based provisioning wrapper for a narrow class of tasks.  :-)

I have encountered this a lot.  Say I need a little tool to add a few
routes to some piece of infrastructure.  It is unlikely that the scope
of the tool will substantially expand, and at any rate, it is certain
that evolution toward a fuller OSS/BSS framework can be categorically
ruled out.  I can either spend half a day building a little wrapper
with Net::Telnet + Expect, or I can sit there for a week trying to
decipher some vastly overcomplicated enterprise-strength B2B/B2C 24/7
five-9s N+1 high-ROI clicks-and-mortar turn-key-convergent
mission-critical service-impacting world-historic
culture-transformative spiritually-transfigurative SOAP and/or WSDL
monstrosity that requires maddeningly various client-side libraries,
executes like an 800 lb. donkey stuck in a tar pit.

There is real value to doing things the "right" way and diving into
the latter.  But the Byzantine thought patterns underlying the design
philosophies of these things often weigh against it economically.

-- Alex

[1]  I haven't seen this API, so, to be perfectly fair, I don't know.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems