[VoiceOps] ipv6 is for real (was Re: CPE IAD recommendations)

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Sep 15 15:42:18 EDT 2009

joshua sahala wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Kenny Sallee <kenny.sallee at gmail.com> wrote:
> [cut]
>
>> This is a little off topic but...Are any ISP's using IPv6 for connectivity
>> with their customers??  What application are you all looking to use it for
>> (internal or external use)?  I know it's needed and understand IP addressing
>> and issues with v4 and v6.  Just trying to gauge if this is a lab project
>> you are talking about or if ipv6 is starting to be used in the 'real-world'
>>

> yes, ipv6 is real and available, even from u.s. isps (who are about a
> decade behind most european providers).  comcast is also rolling it
> out to cable subscribers in certain markets.  google is available over
> v6, yahoo should have some of their stuff on v6 too.

We're providing it to retail customers today upon request. We have
support over DSL and dialup as well, within our on-net footprint. In the
future (once the adtrans support it! most of our customers are IAD
customers) we'll be issuing it by default. It's similarly available on
our internet T1s and colocation.

We are multihomed on IPv6 from multiple upstream providers.

IPv6 is here.

-Paul