[VoiceOps] What to look for in a SIP Trunking concept?

Mark R Lindsey lindsey at e-c-group.com
Wed Sep 16 15:40:54 EDT 2009

SIPConnect has a lot of good ideas and rules. It describes "well
behaved" SIP trunking behavior.

But, unfortunately, they've moved beyond the generally-accepted Best
Current Practices. For example, they now *require* service provider
(SP) support for encrypted VoIP signaling. SIPConnect also requires
parent/child registration; i.e., "trunk group" registration. Some
platforms can now support that, and it's a great feature. But other
good platforms don't support it (yet).

So SIPConnect is a good piece of work, but if you get too locked in to
supporting SIPConnect, you can waste money implementing requirements,
and may ultimately ruin the business plan (by raising your fixed costs
too high) or design an un-implementable network.

But in general, the biggest danger is in pretending you can support
too much. Start with a *small* set of certified, supported SIP PBX/IAD
devices, and then promise success only with systems and software
versions on your list. In addition, list the specific features that
are supported for those devices.

If you allow customers to believe you support any self-described SIP-
trunking-capable system out there, you'll fail. The operations folks
will spend a lot of time fighting fires, troubleshooting ringback or
call transfer problems the new Avayastar 15000 with 1.5.7 (beta)
software, AFTER the customer's live service has been cut-over to the
new platform. It's a painful situation.

mark r lindsey at e-c-group.com http://e-c-group.com/~lindsey +12293160013

On Sep 16, 2009, at 2:52 PM, <Guy.Ram at t-systems.com> <Guy.Ram at t-systems.com