[VoiceOps] "...but it works with Packet8"

Darren Schreiber d at d-man.org
Sat Aug 21 14:36:30 EDT 2010

So we do most of what's below...

The one thing that's a bit different about our service is we want to stay out of the media path and, "under the hood", send the customer direct to the carrier for most calls. That's the point of our "router" - it's also a SIP proxy.

The problem is that, in our tests, our SIP Proxy properly "fixes" NAT packets from phones, but then when they hit the DSL router w/ SIP ALG, it goes and mucks them up again. At which point we've lost control cause the packet is on it's way to the carrier directly. We DO NOT want to proxy or take on media if we can avoid it - this is critical to our design, and probably the fundamental root of our problems :-) I suspect the reality is Packet8 takes on all media so #2 is possible, where-as we must do this at the proxy level BEFORE it leaves the network.

I am trying to take an alternative approach and having our router/proxy get smarter. I think we may just start ignoring everything after the @ symbol when re-mapping devices and calls from the outside. I'm otherwise out of ideas for this strategy without constantly turning off SIP ALG...

- Darren