[VoiceOps] "...but it works with Packet8"

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Mon Aug 23 11:56:16 EDT 2010

Alex Balashov wrote:

> This is extremely unlikely, unless they inherited one via licensing from
> an acquisition.
>
> Developing a SIP stack is a surprisingly capital-intensive endeavour, at
> least, when it comes to working out interop issues and bugs, as well as
> natural race conditions arising from a literal interpretation of RFC
> 3261. All that testing and R&D is hard to afford. That's why the only
> good SIP stacks have been around for at least ten years (though, from
> this it does not follow that just because a SIP stack has been around
> for ten years means it's any good).

I wouldn't say it's trivial to do it, but one of our partners has a 100%
custom-written and RFC-compliant stack and softphone which goes to great
lengths to penetrate any NAT--they guarantee it.  Licensing starts at
$42,000, however for a company the size of Packet 8 that would be trivial.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve