[VoiceOps] Is call forwarding in Polycom phones fundamentally broken?

Dawson, Robert robert.dawson at mindshift.com
Wed Dec 22 15:46:27 EST 2010

>>> The one case where the Polycom might act funny is with shared lines.
SCA will definitely remove the call forwarding option from the phone completely.

>>> This doesn't make sense... When using the client side CF, the Polycoms send a 3xx message in response to the INVITE. There is no dialog set-up, and no media exchanged.
This is 100 % correct - the phone simply does a redirect. Looking for the redirection in an XSLog trace is usually how I find out that someone has call forwarding enabled when they swear they don't.

>>> double check that 'voIpProt.SIP.serverFeatureControl.dnd' and 'voIpProt.SIP.serverFeatureControl.cf'
This stuff is pretty well documented in the Polycom SIP Admin Guide but not really touched on in the Broadsoft partner guide for Polycom.

>>> In general, I really like Polycom phones, but may have no choice but to switch to cisco/aastra/etc
To be honest I have not found an endpoint that works better with the Broadworks platform than Polycom. Cisco endpoints running SIP are a total joke and the only time we use them is when customers want the Cisco name on display. I do have to say that the 7945/65 using the XML based configs are much better than the 7940/60 and the color displays are really impressive looking - 100% better than the color Polycoms. Of course there has been no interop done for them with Broadsoft and Cisco only officially supports SIP on the CCM platform for them. I managed to find a particular firmware version that actually has working NTP support while not breaking other features and cobbled together the config to get them working pretty well.