[VoiceOps] Data Center recommendations

Steve Dispensa dispensa at phonefactor.com
Tue Feb 9 17:29:51 EST 2010

Equinix +1. Love 'em.

________________________________

From: voiceops-bounces at voiceops.org
[mailto:voiceops-bounces at voiceops.org] On Behalf Of Sorensen, Marty
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 1:46 PM
To: Lunch Hound; VoiceOps
Subject: Re: [VoiceOps] Data Center recommendations

My data is a bit old, but we had a consultant do a review of carrier
hotel locations and geographies.  Some of the ones that were rated
reasonably high are:

Equinix - have centers all over the world including Chicago. Fairly
spendy but seemed to have the most carrier pops to cross connect to.

Westin Bldg in Seattle - right next to the hotel of the same name.

Pittock Block in Portland, Oregon

Sterling Network in Phoenix

Verizon - Denver and Seattle

I probably don't need to say this, but from our experience, the best
carrier hotels are the ones that are the most carrier agnostic and have
the most pops in their meet me room.  Its also important in our view to
check with your carriers to see if their pops in any of these centers
are actually useable from a cross connect perspective.  You need to ask
not just if they are there but what type of presence they have.  A small
but important point according to our experience.