[VoiceOps] Open Source IP PBX

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Thu Feb 11 17:34:57 EST 2010

On 11/02/10 12:45 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

> On 2/10/10 10:56 AM, Tim Burke wrote:
>> Trixbox would probably be your best bet if you're looking for open
>> source and easy to use. I believe 2.8.0.3 is the current stable build,
>> but I'm running 2.8.0.1 on my server with no issues.
>
> Having used both, I would take AsteriskNOW over Trixbox any day. We work
> with bare Asterisk on our internal systems, but the custom boxes we
> deploy for clients to self-manage are all AsteriskNOW. We had a lot of
> problems with Trixbox.

Problem with AsteriskNow is that it's not really maintained that much.

I've just spent the past week trying to use AgentLogin on Trixbox only
to find they've recompiled chan_agent.so without the AgentLogin app,
presumably so that they can sell a call centre edition.

If it was me, I'd skip the GUI altogether, read Asterisk:TFOT, and set
it up yourself.

GUI based systems are all well and good (we even have one of our own),
but if you're relying on a GUI without understanding the underlying
architecture you'll be fine till you have a problem.

If you have a problem, all of the bits and pieces you don't use will
just get in the way of diagnosing and fixing the issue.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell
Managing Director