[VoiceOps] VoIP T38 Fax reliability

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Wed Jan 6 19:15:18 EST 2010

It seems to be hit and miss, certainly not 100%, but better than
trying to use either PCMU or PCMA over the commodity Internet for
FAXing. PCMU/PCMA might work over a local private LAN with QoS enabled
and the jitter down to almost nothing. The biggest issue I've seen
with T38 is the ATA's inability to properly negotiate a Super-G3 fax
down to G3 or slower speeds. In our experience, you need to disable
the Super-G3 feature of the FAX machine to slow it down to either 14.4
or 9600 and disable ECM. Many of the newer FAX machines have a "VoIP
Compatibility" mode which essentially slows it down to 9600 and
disables ECM.

We predominantly use Cisco/Linksys/Sipura ATAs, but would like to hear
if anyone has better experiences with other ATAs, particularly in
business environments where there's potentially a lot of FAXing.

Cheers,
Gabe