[VoiceOps] VoIP T38 Fax reliability

Antoine Reversat a.reversat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:39:45 EST 2010

We have a very good success rate here using Linksys spa2102s and
asterisk 1.6. We ran into several problems mainly in t.38 negotiation.

The things I would be most careful about :

- Make sure the t.38 is correctly negotiated. That has been an issue
in the past. A good thing that asterisk comes with enough debugging to
be able to troubleshoot that.
- Get rid of any SIP ALGs. We have had a strange issue where both ends
couldn't negotiate t.38 because the SIP ALG implementation (namely
D-LINKs implementation) would just not understand the re-invite part.

In my experience once your fax voip call uses t.38 you're good. Or as
somebody else said if you have 0 packet loss / 0 jitter then you're
good too (as long as you use g711).