[VoiceOps] VoIP T38 Fax reliability

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Fri Jan 8 12:28:51 EST 2010

I never actually got the reply from Ujjval so I'm going to reply to this
thread.

My experience with the FCS-BAD problems has typically been related to
TDM problems not relating to VoIP or T.38 in any way.  While it is
possible that a buggy T.38 stack might cause all sorts of unexpected
issues, FCS is related to framing and I've seen this issue resolved in
certain media gateways by ensuring that the TDM clocking on the media
gateway cards is tuned properly.

One thing people often forget is that faxing doesn't even work 100% in
the PSTN.  Line noice, interference, etc. all contribute to failures.
These types of failures are simply propagated through the T.38 stack
into the UDPTL signaling.

For your issues with not receiving DIS I would try and perform a G711u
bypass fax call and export the audio from the RTP through Wireshark and
listen to the analog signaling handshake exchange to see if the fax
machines are even properly communicating at a basic level.  If you have
PSTN bearer tracing capabilities you could also perform a T.38 test call
and listen to see if the initial fax signaling tones are sent and
acknowledged at the analog side.

Hope this is helpful,

Justin