[VoiceOps] Level3 woes

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Fri Jul 9 12:33:57 EDT 2010

Hiers, David wrote:
> Not here.
>
> VECTOR or VIPER?

VIPER (maybe it bit us ;))

@John ELS has nothing to do with us.

Strangely it occurred sporadically starting circa 10:40am and seemed to
have stopped at 11:20ish

I'm curious to know how many others on the ITSP/Managed side all go
through the same hoops and hurdles of watching SIP packets, logging into
various monitoring systems, etc., looking for the cause before
attributing it to the carrier.

My last concern is almost always the carrier side. (Using old if else if
like thinking) I personally begin by looking at the client's network
connectivity if they have remote trunks/PBX's. No network issue there,
hop on old and trust ngrep deployed box, shoot calls, debug SIP
messaging, drink coffee while waiting for packet output, log into
another machine in parallel pop open Zenoss for alert issues, and a
whole nice alphabet soup of steps before I even post "Hey is Level3 down
for you too?"

This instance this morning was a little on the strange side because it
came from multiple sources, using multiple providers, with a multitude
of "Your call cannot be completed...", "dead air", 600/503 errors all on
the Level3 side. Just strange, couldn't attribute to any letters in my
soup ;)

--

J. Oquendo

"It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to
ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things
differently." - Warren Buffett

227C 5D35 7DCB 0893 95AA  4771 1DCE 1FD1 5CCD 6B5E
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5CCD6B5E