[VoiceOps] SIP test equipment

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Jul 9 14:18:11 EDT 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 7:19 PM, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> What do you currently use for test equipment?  I'm looking for high
> volume automated testing with statistics and reporting, especially for
> media (RTP).  Just SIP + RTP in our environment, ability to support
> 2,000 RTP channels minimum with at least MOS (preferably PESQ)
> scoring.  G.729, G,711(u/a), and G.722 (minimum) codec support.
> Emulated UAS/UAC, gigabit ethernet interfaces, etc.
>
> I'm already looking at Ixia IXLoad and Empirix Hammer G5 but I
> wondered what else people are using...
>
> --
> Kristian Kielhofner
> http://www.astlinux.org
> http://blog.krisk.org
> http://www.star2star.com
> http://www.submityoursip.com
> http://www.voalte.com

I'm surprised you're not creating your own.  Given the cost for the
higher-end packages, it seems useful to consider in-house
construction, though I suspect you have considered that already and
perhaps discounted it for political reasons.  I probably would not
suggest this of a shop that doesn't have the expertise, but clearly
you DO have the expertise even if just to create a specification that
would be sufficient to give to an outsourced development shop.

Do free or reasonably-priced libraries exist to determine MOS/PESQ
given a suitable stream of RTP or other audio format?  That would seem
to me to be the most difficult part of building this system, as other
components to create suitable call volumes certainly seem to pre-exist.

JT