[VoiceOps] SIP test equipment

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 15:04:48 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:18 PM, John Todd <jtodd at loligo.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised you're not creating your own.  Given the cost for the
> higher-end packages, it seems useful to consider in-house construction,
> though I suspect you have considered that already and perhaps discounted it
> for political reasons.  I probably would not suggest this of a shop that
> doesn't have the expertise, but clearly you DO have the expertise even if
> just to create a specification that would be sufficient to give to an
> outsourced development shop.
>
> Do free or reasonably-priced libraries exist to determine MOS/PESQ given a
> suitable stream of RTP or other audio format?  That would seem to me to be
> the most difficult part of building this system, as other components to
> create suitable call volumes certainly seem to pre-exist.
>
> JT

JT,

  Build vs buy...  In my various ventures over the last several years
I/we have already built a dizzying array of tools and test tools.
Testing is not our core competency and I don't think a single person
in the company is especially interested in expending resources across
all departments (legal, development, accounting, etc) to coordinate
the items necessary for a development project (outsourced or not) that
really doesn't add significant "value" to the company.

  In these cases it's nice to just make a purchase and have an
industry recognized test solution available.  I could spend the same
(or 3x more) money on developing my own equal or better test solution
and that still won't have the "value" an Ixia or Empirix test report
can provide (to some people).

  I personally would love to see us spend the time and resources on
developing a highly capable open source solution.  While it might be
of the most benefit to the rest of the world it's not in the best
interest of the company.  I'm also concerned that at this scale
(several thousand RTP streams with proprietary/patented codecs, full
stats, MOS, PESQ, etc) we may very well have to depend on some
proprietary/hardware solution anyway...

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org