[VoiceOps] NPA 710 GETS NS/EP

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jul 23 15:40:38 EDT 2010

On 22 Jul 2010 11:35, John Todd wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2010, at 11:06 AM, Hiers, David wrote:
>> Is NPA 710 still the federal Government Emergency Telephone Service
>> (GETS) NPA for the National Security / Emergency Preparedness (NS/EP)
>> program?
>>
>> Either someone is misdialing, or pizza hut is calling back to confirm
>> Jack Bauer’s order...
>>
>> I figure that something that big couldn’t get reassigned without me
>> noticing something in some planning letter, but those GETS folks are
>> pretty tricky :)
>
> You're seeing this as a caller ID on inbound calls?  I've found that
> the proliferation of previous area codes into exchanges has led to
> some strange, mangled caller IDs that actually work if you press
> "redial", but they get a person who has NO idea what you're calling
> about.  710 I'm sure is now an exchange in lots of places that is
> somehow turning into an area code on outbound presentation.
>
> Or this could be yet-another ill-fated "private prefix" for VoIP
> dialing, like area code 747 for the Gizmo project, or (coincidentally)
> area code 700 for IAXTel.  I hate e.164.  :-)

Or it could be a broken PBX that is simply sending invalid calling
number information (either accidentally or purposefully) and the telco
isn't blocking it.  This is not uncommon; I get calls from area code 000
and the like fairly regularly.

Or it might be someone calling from Russia or Kazakhstan, which are
country code +7.  On many occasions, I've had numbers show up as invalid
or incorrect US area codes because something doesn't handle
international numbers right.  For instance, a call from Brussels (+32 2
XXX-XX-XX) showed up as 322-XXX-XXXX, which I only noticed because I
knew that area code was reserved.