[VoiceOps] International DIDs

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Jul 29 17:55:44 EDT 2010

We are involved with a customer with numerous locations worldwide.
Several European countries, Singapore, Australia, China, Brazil, Japan,
India.

Presently these are all standalone PBX systems.  We're considering an
integrated VoIP system.  Both we and the customer are based in the USA
and we're of course familiar with numerous carriers delivering US DIDs
via SIP.

How are others on the list handling this type of thing?  Is there such a
thing as number portability and is SIP delivery available in much of the
rest of the world?  Is there a spreadsheet or list of providers
available by country?

One thing that looks like it would work more or less universally is to
put a gateway in place in each country and continue to get dialtone from
each local telco.  This seems to be the safest but not necessarily the
cheapest.

Who has been down this road before?

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net