[VoiceOps] Splitting SIP+RTP PCAP files

Justin Randall jrandall at comwave.net
Wed Jun 23 14:49:13 EDT 2010

Hello,

With an understanding of Wireshark and/or PCAP file structure and a
little Perl magic you can whip up a simple script in less than 100 lines
which will pull the exact information you're looking for from existing
PCAP files.

As for real-time capturing, I can't speak with any familiarity for
Alex's product however I can say that scalability of any solutions for
real-time capturing/analysis without any type of ASICs or custom
hardware have limited scalability, especially if you're capturing all
signalling and media for all call legs for several thousands of
simultaneous calls at once in a multi-protocol VoIP environment.  We
have had to rely on a commercial hardware/software vendor solution in
order to capture larger volumes of traffic without loss.  You can still
pull a decent solution together without a full commercial solution using
a special NIC, carefully tuned PCAP filters, and a sufficiently
distributed L2 switching network.

Regards,

Justin Randall

Team Leader - VoIP Engineering