[VoiceOps] DTMF issues for Conf Bridges

Paul Timmins paul at timmins.net
Tue Mar 16 14:24:03 EDT 2010

This is due to Level 3's idea that charging high access rates because
you're a rural ilec and hosting high volume inbound customers on your
network is somehow fraudulent or some sort of abuse.

They refer to it as "Traffic Pumping" and would prefer not to pay for
that traffic, and since it's illegal to deliberately block traffic to
another provider, they simply deliberately underprovision capacity to
the terminating carrier so that people get busy signals to it all the time.

You can decide for yourself what's more unethical.

-Paul