[VoiceOps] Strange register attack

Peter Childs PChilds at internode.com.au
Thu Nov 25 23:03:28 EST 2010

sql> select count(ua) from sip_trace where ua = 'friendly-scanner';
COUNT(UA): 22330

We get thousands of these scans from all over the joint all the time.

That is in the last 8 hours...

sql> select count(fromip), fromip from sip_trace where ua = 'friendly-scanner' group by fromip;
COUNT(FROMIP): 3
FROMIP       : 124.195.52.250

COUNT(FROMIP): 1
FROMIP       : 124.254.44.172

COUNT(FROMIP): 13127
FROMIP       : 202.101.187.66

COUNT(FROMIP): 9199
FROMIP       : 74.218.78.29
(4 rows, 10201 ms)

I occasionally have discussions with others about http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5635 using some thresholds to block some of these at the border, with the problem being that one day someone will use some cloud platform and we will take out we shouldn't.

The ACME SBCs we use seem to eat this stuff up ok, but some of the issues we encounter
	1. Customers with SIP CPE where a high volume of SIP trash causes the CPE to lock
	2. Customers running Asterisk implementations getting cracked and owned

Cheers,
  Peter