[VoiceOps] Strange register attack

Craig Askings craig at overthewire.com.au
Mon Nov 29 02:59:32 EST 2010

On 27 November 2010 14:07, Jay Nugent <jjn at nuge.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2010, Christian Pena wrote:
>
>> I did it by creating a bogus session-agent (say with ip 1.1.1.1) and set it in disabled state. Then routed the
>> packets to that session agent by changing the route header to something like sip:1.1.1.1
>
>   Uh????  1/8 is an allocated network now.  It would be bad form to be
> pumping traffic toward their network as if it were a garbage pile or
> /dev/null.   Please be a good net citizen and pump black hole traffic
> toward a non-routable address like one from RFC1918 or a non-existant host
> on your own LAN.

I spoke to one of the researchers that analyzed the data from the test
advertisements of 1/8 by APNIC. 1.1.1.1 got 11 mbit/s of RTP thanks to
people using Friendly scanner.

"The number you have dialed is disconnected or not in service" or
words to that effect.

--
Craig Askings

Network Engineer | Over the Wire Pty Ltd
craig at overthewire.com.au | www.overthewire.com.au
Phone: 07 3847 9292 | Fax: 07 3847 9696 | Mobile: 0404 019 365