[VoiceOps] Strange Call Flow

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Fri Oct 15 15:06:30 EDT 2010

Yes its "legal", a RFC interpretation but not very popular.   It is usually
referred to as "Multiple 18X response" and it can normally be turned off.
What they are doing here is starting w/o early media (calling side provides
ringback) and then trying to change over to early media without a re-invite,
possibly to provide the ring-back or a treatment.

Here are some links:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sen-sip-earlymedia-00
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3261.txt

Technically I think you can keep sending provisional responses (1XX) as many
times as you like until a final response (2XX, 3XX, etc) is sent.  One
example of course is 100 Trying followed by a single 18X.  the 100 trying is
optional.

	-Scott