[VoiceOps] Question about Packet Jitter

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 01:36:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 16:26 -0400, Scott Berkman wrote:
> The only portion missing is the jitter through the SBC itself, which really
> should be negligible.  Assuming that is 0, your equation below would be
> correct.

I think I'd disagree with this.  Jitter is an average measure of what's
essentially noise (random variations in the arrival times of packets
from a mean), and so I'd expect - for two jitter sources in series
producing average jitter of j1 and j2 respectively - the overall jitter
to be sqrt(j1^2 + j2^2).

Intuitively, a packet which is late as a result of the first jitter
source might then be further delayed or delivered early by the second -
so just summing the average jitter values isn't appropriate.

--Dave