[VoiceOps] local calling database

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Mon Sep 13 11:44:57 EDT 2010

On Sep 12, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Troy Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com
> > wrote:
> 1) NANPA assigned blocks list (available free, publicly).
>
> 2) National Pooling assigned blocks list (available free, publicly).
>
> If it's useful to folks, we've got an easy, free way to access that
> data via HTTP API, HTTP for a browser, and DNS API:
>    http://digits.cloudvox.com/
>
> Like:
>    http://digits.cloudvox.com/2066831234
>    http://digits.cloudvox.com/2066831234.json
>
> It has data for 3, 6, 7, and 10 digit numbers/prefixes, and augments
> the data with other fields: lat/lng, wireless/wireline access type
> (guess), ratecenter formatted for display, and nearby metro
> ratecenter (ie, city).  The site has API examples, a Google
> Spreadsheets custom function that inlines the JSON, and a bookmarklet.
>
> If you have special requests, send it via the contact info on the
> site.  We're usually able to add things if it will let someone use
> it in a new way.
>
> Troy

Troy -
   Excellent, and very useful!  However:

  a) I tried with just six digits, and it failed.  ("We're sorry, but
something went wrong.")

  b) You might consider insisting on fully-qualified e.164 numbers,
including the country code, or at least understanding a "+" denotes a
fully qualified e.164 number or leading portion of an e.164 number.
Why?  Because there are some really interesting databases you might
add to this that work outside of NANPA, and you don't want to dig a
hole you can't get out of with users becoming familiar with a
particular type of URL call.

   I tried "+12066831234" and it worked great.  Fantastic!  But then I
tried "+22066831234" and that uh... worked as well.  And then I tried
"+442066831234" and that... astonishingly... worked TOO!  So clearly,
there is something a bit odd in that API parser.

JT