[VoiceOps] local calling database

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Sep 13 18:26:43 EDT 2010

Troy,

The site seems to have some degree of lead generation and/or marketing
features such as entreatments to purchase numbers, and my guess is
that is the monetisation strategy.  Can't possibly say if it's working.

One does not have to query NPAC directly, of course.  There are
VeriSign and other STP operators that will resell you this service as
well, as will numerous folks who offer SIP interfaces to TCAP LNP
queries like Broadvox and SourceComm.  It is entirely possible they
get the dips on relatively good terms from one of those sources
compared to what we expect, due to volume.  But yes, at the end of the
day not going broke is a requirement.

I take it as granted that entities like VeriSign and Sourcecomm and
Broadvox do quite a lot of short-term caching, TOS be damned.

A bigger question for me is how they are able to offer LNP info
relatively free and clear to anyone who wants it, even if they are not
carriers per se.  Neustar NDA requirements are not friendly to such
actors and require a lot of paperwork for anyone wanting more or less
direct NPAC access. How someone buying dip access from Neustar (at
some level) is able to pass it along to third parties without
propogating the myriad of NPAC territorial NDAs is a complete mystery
to me.

--
Alex Balashov  - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC