[VoiceOps] Rate Center Maps, Locations for NPANXXs

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Sep 20 15:48:51 EDT 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Peter R. wrote:

> How do you geo-map for cell-only households which has grown past 15% of
> the market now?  In my own circle of non-telecom friends, very few have a
> landline and most have a cell phone with an area code outside Tampa.

  Obviously if you have a NY cell phone and live in FL, it won't be
  accurate. That's impossible.  But I _CAN_ show where that NY cell phone
  resides in the NANPA world, or at least a rough estimate.  Sure, some
  ratecenters cover hundreds of miles, but for the most part you can get a
  good handle on where a number originates from.

  I don't care about where the device that rings when you call a number is
  located.  Privacy issues abound there.  I'm merely looking for a
  definitive source of Geo-telecom data for NANPA.

> LATA boundaries really only affect ILEC's. CLEC's offer LATA wide and
> state-wide calling in some cases.  VoIP isn't exactly rate center based
> EXCEPT with ported numbers.

  What VoIP isn't rate center based?  Sure, billing may not be, but that
  doesn't cause an npanxx not to be linked to a physical location.  And some
  providers still do full npanxx based call decks.  Sometimes you want to
  give the customer some insight into the call -- if you don't have a name,
  give an accurate location at least (more than a state).  I know my
  provider, VoIPo, sends information like "Anytown OH Mobile" or
  similar when a name isn't available.  That's useful!

Beckman